>>> Click here for the RMC FAQ'N RULES <<<

THIS IS SPINAL TAP



YOUR JUNE 2004 RMC RESULTS ARE IN!

The Preshow Entertainment was: 2 episodes from Monty Python's Flying Circus. Not much to write up here, since I'm pretty sure you're all familiar with them. But under the "Duh!" heading, as the years go by it becomes more and more clear how many light years ahead of their time they were. We watched a lot of stuff I don't remember seeing in the '70s. Much of the material was so English, it was lost on us. I wonder if, when they began running them in America, they got rid of some of the Euro-centric bits. Anyone know? I'm guessing they didn't, and because I don't remember them simply means I didn't understand the references when they originally aired, so they went right through me.

The RANDOM MOVIE GENERATOR selected: THIS IS SPINAL TAP
.

Seems June's RMC was cut out for Brit humour, be it real or fake. Like
Python, I'm not sure what to add to a review of Tap that we all (most likely) haven't heard.

One of the funniest movies ever made, Spinal Tap taps into each cliche of
modern rock and exposes it so close to the bone, that some people weren't sure it was a parody. Honestly, I'm not sure they left anything unturned. Although viewed from a DVD (RMC's 3rd!), there's still nothing like seeing it in a theater, with a crowd. There's something wonderful about missing dialogue because people are just out of their minds laughing.

Spinal Tap means a lot to me. I was one of the lucky few that saw their
surprise appearance at CBGBs. The movie also helped me map friends- people who loved the movie were instantly in my circle. And we can't deny the impact it has had on pop culture. The band, 20 years later, still plays live. And they're not even a band. Kind of. This movie also paved the way for GUFFMAN, BEST IN SHOW, and naturally, A MIGHTY WIND (The Folksman did SNL only a year or so after they did Tap). "But enough of my yakking."

The main thing is, it's a non-stop funny movie, with maybe more jokes per
minute than any film. To do a laundry list of what is funny, we'll, that's work, and I'd almost rather do laundry. But I do remember seeing it for the first time, and dying over the scene when they get lost backstage. Oh boy, I better stop. I have so many memories of seeing that movie- It was 20 years (3 months, and four days) ago today.

On a scale of 1-10, SPINAL TAP goes to, well, you know...


Tags: , ,








Feed Burner Subscribe in a reader



Powered byFeedBlitz


About ...

RMC email address
Old RMC Men

RMC is not affiliated with Rochester Midland Corporation, makers of fine restroom disinfecting fluids and urinal mats since 1888.

Archives

Powered by Pizza, Red Vines,
& 6 Different Kinds of Soda

RMC MASCOT

RMC HERO

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Random Movie Club. Make your own badge here.


((( Contribute to our Popcorn Fund! )))




Best Viewed With Firefox 2



Add to Google
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to Technorati Favorites!


Blimp!
eXTReMe Tracker